Saturday, July 23, 2011

We did it!

Today Ray and I ran our first 10k race. I was pretty excited for it until we pulled up to the park and there were so many runners there, and they looked like real runners. I was hoping for more people like me...people who try to run but still suck at it. Everyone else looked so intense and fit. Once the race started I quickly fell to the back of the pack but Ray stayed right up towards the front/middle with the rest of the real runners. Ray finished with a great time and he really enjoyed the race. I know I am slow so my goal was to just finish the race before they take down the clock. I did that with a few minutes to spare so I was happy! I'm not going to lie, I am pretty proud of myself. For me, 6.4 miles is pretty amazing! It is something I never thought I could do.
Ray is going to run the half marathon is September but it looks like I will not be able to run with him. I am going to take the next month or so off from running so my shins can completely heal from shin splints. I am excited for Ray though and hopefully I will be able to run it with him next year!
Do you want to know what the best part of the race was today? I had about a half mile left in the race and I see Ray walking towards me. He came to help me run the last stretch. I love that guy! Then when I got close to the finish line there was a group of my friends there yelling my name and cheering me on. What a great finish to the race!

6 comments:

  1. WOOHOO... I'm so proud of you! My first race ever was a 10 k, and I thought I'd never be able run that far, this is only the beginning Ginger :). I love that adrenaline rush at the end when you hear friends and family cheering for you... I just love races! And I think its so cute Ray came and ran with you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eliza, I knew you would be proud of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Gin! That's so great! A 5K was hard enough for me. I still need some tips on how to make running enjoyable... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! That is fantastic. Isn't the racing atmosphere fun? I was so nervous when I arrived at my first race, but found it exhilarating once I began to run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, I am glad to hear I am not the only one intimidated by all those runners. It sure was a fun atmosphere though! Are you still running?

    ReplyDelete