Friday, July 15, 2011

I'm Back!

I know it has been forever since I have blogged but I am finally back. I have lots to blog about and lots of pictures to post but I thought I would first just give a little family update. Here is what is going on with us:

Ray- This is the busy season at work for Ray so life is pretty hectic and stressful for him. He was able to get some time off for the 4thof July so my dad and Ray did "man stuff", they shot guns and played golf. Ray recently decided that he really enjoys playing golf. He doesn't have the chance to go very often but when he does he really enjoys it. Ray has also recently started running. If you remember, Ray ran like a crazy man last year and lost tons of weight. He took the winter off but has started up again. Most importantly, Ray is the best dad. Zach and Ray have so much fun together and Zach just loves hanging out with Daddy. Back in the day Zach always wanted him mommy, well not anymore. He always wants to be with his daddy. They are best buds, which makes me so happy!

Ginger- Life has kind of been exciting for me recently. I am sure most of you are sick of hearing about this but I have also started running this summer. Okay, it's not really running, it's more jogging and walking, but it sounds cooler when I say running. Before this year the farthest I had ever run was 2 miles and it was during softball fitness in high school and I HATED it. I would have never done it if I wasn't forced to. I have always hated running. I remember quitting sports because there was too much running. So believe me when I say, I HATED running. Well I have a friend who started running last year and has always tried to get me to run with her. I ran with her every now and then but she was training for half marathons and marathons and I was not interested in going further than a couple miles. For some crazy reason, I decided I would train for a half marathon. I started training last month and things were going great. I signed up to run a 10k with Ray next weekend and I was so excited for it. But...I will be lucky if I can even run the 10k. I have had shin splints for the last few months and I have just been running through the pain. Well a couple days ago it got worse, a lot worse. I tried running through the pain but it is just too painful. So, I am going to try to run the 10k but after that I am going to have to take at least few weeks off to let my shins heal. Which means, no half marathon for me this year. Surprisingly, I am really bummed about it. I have learned to really enjoy running and was really looking forward to the rest of my training and running the half marathon. So that's my story!

Zach- There is so much I could say about Zach but I will try to keep it short. Right now is one of the best stages he has ever been in. I feel like I say that about every stage but he just keeps getting cuter and more fun. He is a smart little guy. That's why this stage is so fun, he is learning so much so quickly. He know so many words and is starting to make sentences. He almost knows the entire alphabet, not the song, just the letters. We are working on counting but he doesn't quite have it down. He always starts with four and then six. It's pretty cute. Some of his favorite things are playing outside, coloring, Lighting McQueen, his friend Mia, his toy lawn mower, his binkies, his grandpa, and his daddy. I have so much more I could say about Zachy but I will do more post on just him.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the update! It was SO GOOD to see you Gin!! And, do you have any secrets to enjoying running? I have started jogging, but by no means like it. I do it because its good for me... Any pointers? Love you, Gin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun getting together with you and the girls. We are going to have to make sure to do it more often!
    So here are my tricks to enjoying running:
    1. Run slow and walk often. I used to try to jog the whole way but I couldn't go very far because it was too hard. My friends introduced me to run/walk and I love it. I wear a watch and I time myself so I run for 3 minutes then walk 1 minute. If I am feeling good I run 4-5 min then walk 1. If I feel crappy I run 2 min and walk 1. Right now I am doing the 2-1 because of my shin splint. It makes running bearable and I am faster doing the run/walk then just straight running.
    2. I set up a running schedule that I keep on my refrigerator. I think this has made the biggest difference. I run 4 times a week and on my running calender I have how many miles I need to run each day. Then I cross it off once I completed it. I increase my miles each week. I like having a goal.
    3. I run in the mornings. If I don't run early I don't run at all. I normally run at about 6:30, before Zach gets up.
    4. I use mapmyrun.com. It keeps track of my miles and motivates me to run more.
    I hope this helps Des. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gin, I'll have to try those tips out!

    ReplyDelete